QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB DESCRIPTION
Job Description: To provide and maintain the geological planning and functional services to support the medium and long term objectives of the company’s strategic business plan. The role will also involve the development of greenfield and brownfield projects as part of executing BMCC’s growth strategy. Ensure that the Geology Department’s objectives and targets are achieved in a safe and efficient manner, within the operational budget.
Duties and Responsibilities :
- Responsible for all mine related geology, resource development and evaluation and geotechnical work.
- Lead and provide guidance and support to the mine geological team to ensure operational needs are fulfilled in an efficient and safer manner.
- Manage the budgeting, forecasting and reporting for the geological function.
- Increase the resource base and reserves in the pit area by evaluating the in-pit, underground and near-mine potential.
- Back-up the Mine Geology Manager by managing the grade modelling, scheduling and demarcation using Datamine Studio RM and Maxwell database.
- Collaborate with senior managers at project to ensure that production target and budgets are achieved.
- Improve existing practices by developing and rolling out quality control methodologies.
- Train, mentor and lead the staff within the Geology Department to increase their skills and mining knowledge.
Near Mine Exploration:
- Work to discover additional resource potential within and around the project area to increase the resource base of the mine.
- Work with Exploration teams to identify, evaluate and assess the potential near-mine targets.
- Develop and implement strategies, budgets and plans to ensure maximum cost-effective execution of programmes being undertaken by the Geology Department.
- Monitor costs incurred by the department and find dynamic cost-effective solutions to reduce expenditure.
- Bachelor’s degree in geology or geological engineering from a recognized institution.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of work experience in mining in a production environment, resource estimation and evaluation.
- Open pit and underground mining experience.
- Good knowledge of database management systems and QAQC principals.
- Advance experience in 3D modelling software Datamine/Micromine
- Advance experience in resource estimation.
- Excellent communication, training and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, excellent time management and organizational skills.